Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday 03/28/11

So this past week didn't go as planned in the least bit.

I've had some headaches and just overall feeling blah to put it mildly. I've also had more pain in my lower back (ok, more like butt area) lately. I went to the doctor last Friday and they took x-rays of it. Nothing too much out of the ordinary on the x-ray but I do have what's know as sacralization of the L5 vertebrae to the S1 sacrum. I hope I put that right. So the doctor referred to my an orthopaedic specialist. I went to that doctor today and he looked at my x-rays and did an exam. The conclusion is that while the sacralization of the L5 vertebrae is probably causing my hip discomfort with my right hip, it's not causing my pain. No obvious reason as to why I'm in so much pain. I did get a shot of cortisone in my troublesome area today and I was given a prescription for predisone. I'm crossing my fingers that this helps.

My eating has been okay, with occasionally splurges but nothing too bad. My exercise was non-existant last week. I didn't make it to the gym at all, and I didn't fit in any exercise at home. I haven't done anything so far this week, but I'm due at the gym tomorrow night to workout with the trainer for an hour. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Rachel, I wonder if they should order an MRI? Those "see" a lot more then just an X-ray will. I have a couple of bulging discs in my back and when they get aggravated, sometimes I can't even walk.

I will say the cortisone helped me tremendously. I was always amazed at how good I could feel after a shot. The trouble was, it didn't last long and they wont give it to you frequently.

I don't think I ever tried prednisone. That's another steroid, so you'll really have to kick up your workouts to balance out the side effects of it. On a good note, you might be full of energy now! LOL... I really hope this works for you. I know how miserable back pain is.

Rachel said...

The orthopaedic specialist I saw on Monday said that he would try the cortisone shot and the prednisone and then go from there. He said to call him if I don't feel better by the time I'm done with the prednisone. He mentioned sending me to physical therapy but decided that he didn't want to waste my money if it wasn't necessary. I don't know what's wrong with my back though. It still hurts to lay on my back and now it feels more like a nerve that hurts. It probably is a nerve. I just know that I'm definitely going to persue this until I get some relief.

I've been told the prednisone will probably cause weight gain and munchies. Oh joy. Just what I need right now. Lol.